Serving Size: 1 medium slice
Yield: 10 servings
1/4 tsp (1g) salt (omit if using salted butter)
3 tbsp (42g) butter, melted
1 cup (100g) almond flour // OR other nut flour
2 tbsp (12g) cocoa powder
3 large eggs (165g total out of shell, 55g each)
1/2 cup (60g) crushed sugarfree peppermint candies (see below for DIY recipe)
3.75 cups (690g) cream cheese, room temperature (three 8oz packages)
(optional) 2 tsp. (10ml) vanilla extract
Chocolate Ganache Topping:
1/2 cup (75g) chopped sugarfree dark chocolate
1/2 cup (125ml) heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup (30g) crushed sugarfree peppermint candies (see below for DIY recipe)
1. Preheat the oven to 315F (160C). Prep an 9" round springform baking tin or equivalent volume removable-bottom tin by lining it with baking paper.
2. In a bowl, combine the crust ingredients and mix until a crumbly dough forms. Press evenly into the bottom of the pan and bake for 10 minutes.
3. In another bowl, combine the cheesecake filling ingredients (EXCEPT the peppermint candy) and then pour on top of the hot crust fresh out of the oven.
4. Sprinkle over the crushed peppermint candies and push them down into the batter slightly (or swirl them in as shown in the video above).
5. Place the cheesecake in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until the edges are set but the center is still very jiggly, then turn OFF the oven and let the cheesecake continue to bake in the oven by way of the residual heat for another 30 minutes (leave the oven door closed), or until the majority of the cheesecake has set, but a tiny area in the center is still not firm.
6. Allow to cool for 1-2 hours at room temperature and then place in the fridge for at least 4 hours before serving (if you put it directly in the fridge it will cool down too quickly resulting in a cracked surface).
7. TO MAKE THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE: Heat the cream in the microwave for 30 seconds or until very hot but not yet boiling, then add the chopped chocolate and let it sit for 1 minutes. Once the chocolate has melted, mix with a whisk or immersion blender for 30 seconds to combine. Pour the ganache over the cooled cheesecake and return to the fridge to chill for another 15-20 minutes.
8. Decorate the finished cheesecake with more crushed peppermint candy just before serving.
(If you add the candy on top of the ganache more than a few hours before serving, it may start to dissolve slightly from the moisture in the ganache and you will end up with something that looks like mine does at the end of the video above.)
DIY SUGARFREE PEPPERMINT CANDY:
Yield: 1/2 cup / 60g
1/2 cup xylitol // OR isomalt // OR sorbitol
4-5 drops red food coloring
5-6 drops peppermint flavoring
Melt the xylitol over medium heat in a small pan.
Once it has melted fully, turn off the heat and mix in the food coloring and peppermint flavoring.
Pour the candy onto a non-stick flat surface (non-stick baking mat or baking parchment) and let harden at room temperature overnight.
Use a rolling pin or similar strong object to break the hardened candy into small shards (or chop it, but be careful as the shards can be sharp).
(Increase the peppermint flavoring to use these as tooth-friendly breath mints!)
Please note that I used MyFitnessPal (a FREE app) to calculate this info, so it may not be 100% accurate.
TPH Keto Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake (1 serving):
kcal 470 / net Carbs 5.5g / Sugars 0g / Fat 43g / Protein 11g
Full-Carb Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake (1 serving):
kcal 535 / net Carbs 40g / Sugars 29g / Fat 36g / Protein 9g